Thursday, December 9, 2010

Final College Consultation

It has been a while since I have consulted with my high school student about her college essay. Since we last met she had finished writing her college essay. There was tremendous improvement from the first meeting until now. She had finished writing her list of significant moments in her life and had composed an essay on the effect it had on her. In the beginning, her main concern was the leniency she was given. Normally she would have composed her essay in a more formulaic way, avoiding first person and adhering to the strict prompt of her teacher. However, after our first meeting I encouraged her to step out of her comfort zone in order not to stifle her essay. Well, it worked and she wrote a killer essay. She sent it to me so that I could give it a looker over for her. She wanted to make sure she didn’t get too crazy with her new found writing freedom. After reading over her paper I was pretty impressed with it and her minor issues. Her biggest problem wasn’t even structural or organizational; she had a few too many commas in some areas and a couple misspelled words. I applauded her writing and told her that if she wanted she could also have her English teacher read over it as well (I am more than confident in my skills and teaching, but a more experienced individual such as her English teacher and a second eye might be beneficial). Overall, she fully embraced my advice, and when she fused the advice with her own ideas she was able to produce a brilliant essay. I hope she gets in…fingers crossed ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment