Thursday, December 2, 2010

Computer Consultation

This time around consulting was definitely different. My consultant and I received a paper via e-mail and since the writer had such time constraints, she asked my tutor to just look over it for her. Consulting can sometimes be challenging, but doing it without the writer makes it particularly difficult. Certain things that can be said easily now have to be hand written or typed. My tutor warned me that I should never make corrections on their paper; instead she told me if she wants them to note something, then she will type it next to the sentence with her comments and then highlight everything. Still even writing down specific details and notes is not the same as a face to face consultation. You are not able to read aloud to the reader; therefore they cannot hear for themselves how it sounds, nor can they see reader’s reaction to what was read. Still, the essence of consulting was maintained. She wrote comments to the reader about developing their argument and explaining vague areas. It was a little frustrating trying to decipher what we thought the writer meant in certain areas because she was absent, but we noted it in the end comments. Overall this new experience was a nice change in pace and I know it definitely prepared me for when someone wants me to look over their paper.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I experienced this with my high school student who I helped on her college application. It was really difficult to figure out how to say things so as to come off the right way and not seem like I was just being mean. That is the main value of a face to face consultation I think, the ability to clarify and talk about some difficult points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, our policy in the writing center is still to not ever do online only consultations. We always include some face to face, conversation time because our job IS the conversation! I think Dr. Essid would be unhappy to hear a consultant did this. The only way I can imagine this would be acceptable would be through Skype or some kind of real time chatting system so that the author is actively participating in the consultation.

    ReplyDelete