Thursday, December 9, 2010

Everybody’s Doing It: Athletes

This whole athletes and writing has really sparked my interest. For starters I do understand that some athletes would not be able to get into certain school if it were not for playing a sport, on the other hand there are plenty of athletes who can get in on their own merit, and still others who are walk-ons who got in on their own merit and through their athletic ability, made the varsity team. I myself am an athlete and while I don’t really take too much offense to the whole “dumb-jock” comment that I have heard before it does make me stop and think. When people make those comments I doubt it’s because they have seen the athlete’s writing. Some people are just not good writers or they do not enjoy it so they do not over exert themselves. I agree with Allie on the idea that high school did not prepare them well enough in regards to writing.

The flip side of my argument is that I shadow in study hall with athletes and I have seen an array of writing. Some of it makes me scratch my head and wonder how some kids even passed English, let alone write an essay well enough to be admitted into Richmond (because athletes still have to apply to the school as well, they just don’t get in). Flip the script and I have seen some amazing writers in study hall as well, and even met a few who plan on pursuing a major in English (like me). The field hockey team (chyea!) alone will be the proud boaster of three writing consultants come next semester (when I become official) and I know of other athletes as well who work in the writing center.

I think some athletes don’t receive the credit they deserve. And while I am not saying they should receive special treatment in any way, I do believe sometimes they get ragged on for no reason. Honestly, we are just trying to get a quality education while playing our passion.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really interesting and personal post. I like to see the stereotype of the "dumb jock" confronted, especially from within. I think you also make a great point in saying that most people who feel they have the expertise to make a comment on an athlete's intelligence probably has no way of actually knowing anything about the athlete's academic life.

    ReplyDelete