Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Project Proposal

For the upcoming final for our class we have the choice of either doing a project or an FAQ. I am going to do the project because I had an epiphany earlier which I thought was genius, but I don't know whether it was better in theory or if it could work in reality. My project proposal is a plan to help promote the writing center and offer students with more opportunities to receive help. Most students have no idea where the writing center is and once they learn that it is in Weinstein then that alone is enough to deter them. I mean I am too lazy to walk from my room to the post office (then again the writing center is important and the free-tanning coupons I get in the mail definitely aren't). Either way I will propose having writing consultants scattered across campus in the major study areas where student traffic is always heavy. There are already writing consultants who work in study hall specifically for athletes, so why not have a few in the library as well?? It would make sense for the writing center to reserve one of the study rooms and have a few consultants in there taking walk-ins helping out students who need help. I think it is a win-win situation because the writing center gets promoted an d students receive the necessary help that will entice them to actually go to the writing center next time. Also possibly writing consultants specializing in the sciences may work in Gottwald, psychology in Richmond Hall, etc. I have no idea how many writing consultants there are nor when they work so this may not be feasible if personnel is low. However, if this is indeed a manageable feat then it should at least be given a trial period and then traffic flow to the writing center should be assessed. I think that if my idea were given a shot it would definitely encourage students to make appointments and help their writing.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea, especially for students who do not need an entire consultation to go over there paper, but might want to spend a few minutes talking it over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea. How might you begin to "read around" to find out more? Do you think there might be programs like this at other writing centers?

    ReplyDelete