Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Consultants in the Libs

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Academics/Colleges-and-Schools/College-of-Arts-and-Sciences/English/writing-center/

The main focus of this article is the location of the writing center. It’s located “just inside the main entrance of Foley Center Library, in the glassed-in area adjacent to the 24-hour Study Lounge. Come in for a visit!” The point I want to focus on is that the Writing Center itself is located in such an optimal locality. I feel as though writing and libraries go hand in hand. On one hand you have books and in the other hand you have writing. I posted this because it helps tie into my vision for my final project and how having consultants in the library would be ideal for any school but especially one the size of UofR. Obviously at larger institutions this is less ideal because of the monolithic size of some universities (Penn State, Texas A&M, etc). At Richmond however, the library is the main hub of student activity as far as studying. I know I spend the majority of my time here so why would it not make sense to have at least a few on call writing consultants that can assist and aid students in an area with such a vast amount of resources. Now the consultants would not be able to give full on consultations but they can offer tidbits of information or quick words of wisdom. These easy-access consultants are not meant to be quick fixes that tell students what to write in order to achieve the optimal grade. The idea is not perfect by any means but it's a starting point to help students and to provide a little more advertising for the Writing Center in order to encourage student traffic. I am not proposing moving the writing center inside the library but I am suggesting that at least a few consultants relocate here as their work area to help the many students that: need help, have minor questions that they cannot really get through websites or the front desk, have no idea where the writing center is located, reluctant students, etc. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I often see a lot of writing consultants working with students in the library. Not all of the consultants work in the Writing Center. I also do agree that our Writing Center is a bit hidden. That is why we need better advertisement! Stay tuned to hear more about my final project with Gyra and Rachel!

    ReplyDelete