Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Adapt Not Abandon

After I read Lauren’s blog post about whether or not our accepting of the new forms of literacies will detract from the old literacies we have always been taught, I realized that we shouldn’t have to sacrifice one for the other. Classics like Shakespeare, Socrates, and other great thinkers and writers of the past have lived on for so long and maintained this longevity is because society has reinforced their importance to each new generation. Some of the books that we had to read in core really annoyed me and were hard to understand but once we discussed them some of information I learned was truly astounding. We consider ourselves to be so advanced (I mean we are) with all of our touch screens and cars and even plumbing compared to centuries ago; but if you make it black and white and compare the ideas of some of these writers, they surpass us in some aspects. Their ideas extend far beyond anything I could have ever imagined during their lifetimes. I think it is necessary that we continue to instill in future generations the brilliance of writers past but also those we don’t try and hold on to the past and allow the future to pass by us. We must adapt to the changing times and embrace new literacies and technologies, but we cannot forget the foundations on which we have been established by abandoning them.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about the Core Course. Although many of these works can be a pain to trudge through, afterwards I truly valued the knowledge I gained (and the ability to engage in conversation with people of all generations as we've read the same works)!

    ReplyDelete